Saturday, May 1, 2010

Part 1

Those last few seconds where you're watching the puck fly through the air, not sure who's behind you, holding your breath, watching as all eyes are on it, and the world seems like it's in slow motion. Covered in sweat, and breathing hard. That's one of the best moments in the world. A second later, that chunk of rubber hits the net and everything speeds up again. The crowd (whether it be ten people, sixty, or, even more) roars, and, that's the other best moment in the world. The adrenaline is pulsing through you, your stomach has butterflies, and some sort of smile is plastered on your face. You're trying to contain your excitement, but, of course, who isn't overly happy when you've just scored a goal? Not anyone I know. Your teammates congratulate you, and you look to the clock. One minute left in the game. You smile, sure, it's only an exhibition game, but this is when it all begins. A win at the start of the season is always a good way to start. Welcome to my world. Welcome, to hockey.

"Kelli! Hey! Wait up!"

Turning my head, two year old backpack slung over my shoulders, I watched as one of my best friends, teammate, who've I've known for practically all my life, was jogging after me. Dogging people through the halls, while getting annoyed looks from some. I laughed as she finally reached me. Sounding a bit winded, but I knew she was fine.

"What's going on Carly? Don't tell me, wait, I got this, you've finally figured out a way to do well on a test without studying for it?!" I spoke sarcastically. I was smirking now. We loved to taunt each other.

Carly, of course, responded with a roll of her hazel eyes and smirked. "Haha. You're very funny. Just to let you know, I do study for my tests. It's the teachers that put things on them that I didn't study that screw me up. It's their fault!"

Carly and I had known each other since our first year playing hockey. We were both eight, and in grade two. We went to different schools though unfortunately then. Luckily though, now we both went to the same high school. It was a lot more convenient. Now, when we were playing hockey, while we were sitting on the bench we were discussing hockey and not our events from the past week. Our coach definitely appreciated it.

I listened to Carly as she defended herself about her marks in school, and, then started to talk about her crazy English teacher, as a different emotion played across her face and she stopped babbling. Seeming to realize why she was talking to me in the first place.

Grinning from ear to ear, Carly started to speak once again. "So, you know how your birthday is coming up? The big one-seven?" The girl wiggled her eyebrows and grinned "Well, sadly, I must spoil your present right now so you don't make any other plans." She paused, and watched me. Not speaking, at all. Just waiting for me to say something.. It was kind of evil.

"K, c'mon! Cut it out! Just tell me!" I giggled, and she continued on again.

"Well... I got us hockey tickets! Guess whose playing? Your two favourite teams! Toronto Maple Leafs and Pittsburgh Penguins!" She yelled, maybe, almost, a bit too loud. Her smile was huge now, and, she couldn't contain her excitement.

I stood there. Shocked, and I couldn't really comprehend what she had just said. I replayed the words through my mind, but, they still weren't fitting together. You could say the world seemed to freeze, well, until she started to shake my shoulders.

"Kelli, hello in there? Wow. This is way worse then I thought. I didn't think you'd freeze up like this!" Carly grinned and watched me. She pulled her dirty blond hair up into a messy bun. Carly didn't really look like someone who would play hockey. Hect, I didn't really look like someone who would play hockey either. She was like a bunny, like, Thumper from Bambi and, I was like Bambi. We were both pretty aveage looking girls. Yah, if we tried we could get second glances, but, we didn't try. When we got on the ice, that's when people watched us. It felt good.

After about ten minutes, I finally came out of zombie mode. "Wait? What? How did you get them!" I yelled, almost as loud as she had yelled before. Smiling, I waited for an answer.

"Well… My dad hooked me up. Guess what? We've got ice seats! We're going to be right by the glass!" Carly grinned and started to jump up and down, and, I soon joined in. Oh, what I sight we were. Good thing it was the end of the day or we'd have to suffer and conceal our excitement to the last bell rang.

"Let's get out of here and I'll fill you in on the details on the way home. My house or yours?" She asked. We looked like to girls who had just figured out that someone had a crush on one of us. Of course though, this was even better.

"Your house! I want to see those tickets!" Both us of grinning like lunatics, we quickly grabbed things we needed from our lockers, and left the school. Heading down the sidewalk to Carly's house as she filled me in on the details.

----

So, that's part one. Please let me know what you think, and I'd be glad to hear all of your ideas! I seriously have no idea where I'm going with this. X)
Thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I liked it - a little on the short side, but keep posting regularly with the same vigour and you'll attract more readers. I'm eager to see which road you're going down, penguins wise. Keep it up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad you liked it.
    Haha. I'm wondering which road I'm going down also. Rolf.
    Obviously, the Leafs.. well.. They don't have a very good looking team. Haha. So.. Yah. They're out of the question. ;D
    But, yah, I have no idea what road I'm going down with them. I have a few ideas how they'll meet up with them though. XD
    I just hope it doesn't sound too generic in the end though, but, oh well. As long as people are happy, I'm happy. :)
    Thanks so much for taking your time and the amazing advice! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete